I know I suck when it comes to this blog…I have no excuses!! I still have to blog my recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas Brunch – hopefully I’ll get around to it by Easter…
Anywho – gonna make this quick…I was going thru an old Paula Deen magazine and found this super simple Chicken, Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas. I’m always looking for easy and fast meals to make, cause – who has time nowadays. This is so easy – I stopped what I was doing to share.
Grill/sautee 2-3 pieces of chicken breasts in olive oil until fully cooked. (I used my grill cast iron pan cause I love grill marks on my chicken – personal preference). I should preface this by saying you should season your meat before cooking…I used salt, pepper, Tony Cacheres. I let the breast marinade in Mojo for a few minutes before cooking.
Once the chicken is cooked – chop it up into small pieces and toss it in a large bowl along with all of your ingredients: shredded Monterey jack cheese, black beans, corn, cream cheese, salsa, chopped cilantro, a few dashes of chile pepper and salt. Mix it all well.
Take your tortilla and butter it on one side (this is for when you heat the quesadillas on the stove). Turn the tortilla over and put scoops of the mix on the tortilla (again – the side that’s NOT buttered.) I like to top the mix with an extra dose of cheese before I fold it over and gently press to seal it together. It technically doesn’t seal, but you see where I’m going with it.
Warm up a large NON-STICK skillet over medium heat (my first tortilla burned so make sure it’s not too hot!)
Cook the quesadillas (one by one) for about 2-3 minutes on each side until its golden brown and the cheese is melted. (NOTE: this can get messy so having an extra wide spatula around to help turn the quesadilla over will help.)
Once its done, cut into wedges and serve with some of your fave sides. I used shredded lettuce, guacamole, sour cream and more salsa.
- 2-3 Chicken breasts
- Few tablespoons of olive oil to sautee the chicken
- 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese (with or without peppers)
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-oz) can corn, drained
- 2 oz of cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons of ground ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (if your chicken is well seasoned, you really don’t need the salt)
- Burrito-size flour tortillas (Number depends on how many you want to make. 1 quesadilla is enough per person)
- 2-3 tablespoons of softened butter
- Toppings: guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce and whatever else you want
recipe by Paula Deen